- During Budget 2019-20,Finance Minister had said that 17 Iconic Tourist Sites in the country would be developed by the government into world class tourist destinations to serve as a model for other tourism sites.
- The nodal ministry for the implementation of the initiative will be the Ministry of Tourism.This initiative is primarily aimed at enhancing India’s soft power.
- The initiative will also aim at overall development of the tourist destinations which includes roads and infrastructure,skill development, development of technology,attracting private investment and branding and marketing.
- The Centre has identified 17 sites in the country for development under the Iconic Tourist Sites Development Project.
- The 17 sites are (a)Taj Mahal and Fatehpur Sikri (Uttar Pradesh) (b)Ajanta & Ellora (Maharashtra) (c)Humayun’s Tomb, Red Fort and Qutub Minar (Delhi) (d)Colva (Goa) (e)Ajmer Fort (Rajasthan) (f)Somnath and Dholavira (Gujarat) (g)Khajuraho (Madhya Pradesh) (h)Hampi (Karnataka) (I)Mahabalipuram (Tamil Nadu), (j)Kaziranga(Assam) (j))Kumarakom (Kerala) and (k)Mahabodhi Temple (Bihar).
2 min read