- Government has started the 7th Economic Census from the north eastern state of Tripura.
- The census aims to get a complete count of all economic units in the country.The census is conducted by the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation(MoSPI).
- MoSPI has partnered with Common Service Centres,CSC e-Governance Services India Limited,Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) under the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology(MeitY) as the implementing agency for 7th Economic Census.
- The data will be collected through door to door survey of each household and commercial establishments under the provisions of Collection of Statistics Act 2008.
- The census is the only source of information on the significantly large unorganized sector in the country.As per the last Economic Census conducted in 2013,there were 58.5 million establishments employing around 131 million workers.
- Economic census gives insights on the economic activities being carried out across the country, their geographical distribution, the number and distribution of workers,types of ownership and sources of finance.
- It covers all structures across the country whether residential or commercial but excludes certain economic activities such as crop-production, plantation activities, illegal activities, public administration,defence and activities of extraterritorial organisations.
2 min read