News: The President of India has greeted the citizens of the country on the eve of Onam festival.
- Onam: It is the biggest and the most important festival of the state of Kerala.
- When is it celebrated? It is celebrated at the beginning of the month of Chingam,the first month of Malayalam Calendar (Kollavarsham).
- Why is it celebrated?
- According to a popular legend,the festival is celebrated to welcome King Mahabali whose spirit is said to visit Kerala at the time of Onam.
- It is also celebrated as the festival of paddy harvest.
- Significant Features of the festival:
- Onasadya: It is the most important part of the festival and is considered to be the most elaborate and grand meal prepared by any civilisation or cultures in the world.
- Activities: The people take part in a variety of group activities such as the Pookolam (rangoli made with fresh flowers), Vallam Kali (boat race), Pulikali (tiger dance), Kai Kottu Kali (Onam dance), Kummattikali (mask dance) and various other activities.