News: United Nations(UN) has released a report titled “Stacked odds” on the occasion of International Day of the Girl Child,2020.
- This report has been combined with observations, data and studies conducted by Walk Free, International Labor Organization(ILO) and the International Organization for Migration(IOM).
Key Takeaways from the report:
- Females across the world account for about 71% of all victims of Modern Slavery.
- One in every 130 females globally is living in modern slavery.Females account for 99% of all victims of forced sexual exploitation, 84% of all victims of forced marriage, and 58% of all victims of forced labour, it added.
- Modern slavery: It is defined as the systematic removal of a person’s freedom, where one person is exploited by another for personal or financial gain.
- ILO: It was established in 1919 to promote social and economic justice through setting up of international labour standards.Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland.
- IOM: It is an intergovernmental organization established in 1951.It provides services and advice concerning migration to governments and migrants including internally displaced persons, refugees, and migrant workers.
- In 2016,it became a related organization of the United Nations.
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland.