News:The Chilika Development Authority(CDA) has said that it expects over 1 million migratory birds to flock to Chilika lake in 2020.
About Chilika lake:
- Chilika lake is the Asia’s largest brackish water lake.It is located at the Daya River flowing into the Bay of Bengal.
- The lake is also the second largest coastal lagoon in the world after the New Caledonian barrier reef in New Caledonia.
- Chilika lake was also designated as a wetland of international importance under the Ramsar Convention in 1981.
- The lake is also home to the largest wintering ground for migratory birds on the Indian subcontinent.These birds travel great distances to reach Chilika Lake.
- The Irrawaddy dolphin(IUCN Red List –Endangered) is the flagship species of Chilika Lake.
About Chilika Development Authority:
- Chilika Development Authority has been created under Forest & Environment Department of Government of Odisha in the year 1991.
- It was formed with an objective for the conservation of ecology of Chilika lagoon and to bring an all-round development in and around the lagoon which calls for multi-dimensional and multi-disciplinary development activities.