News:The Archaeological Survey of India(ASI) will undertake scientific conservation of Bibi Ka Maqbara located in Aurangabad,Maharashtra.
About Bibi Ka Maqbara:
- Bibi ka Maqbara is a famous 17th century Mughal-era monument in the city of Aurangabad,Maharashtra.
- The maqbara was commissioned in 1660 by Mughal emperor Aurangzeb in the memory of his first and chief wife Dilras Banu Begum.
- The structure is known as the ‘Taj of the Deccan’ because of its striking resemblance to the Taj Mahal.
- The domes, minarets and the marble screens inside the Maqbara are built in marble.
- The Maqbara has four gardens based on Charbagh design like most of the Mughal gardens.It is divided into four equal parts with the main mausoleum at the centre.
About Archaeological Survey of India(ASI):
- Archaeological Survey of India(ASI) is the premier organization for the archaeological research, scientific analysis, excavation of archaeological sites, conservation and preservation of protected monuments.
- It is an attached office under the Department of Culture, Ministry of Culture.
- It was founded in 1861 by Alexander Cunningham who was the first Director-General of ASI.