- Energy Efficiency Services Limited(EESL) has installed over 5 lakh smart meters in Uttar Pradesh, Delhi, Haryana, Bihar and Andhra Pradesh. These meters have been distributed under the Smart Meter National Programme.
- The Smart Meter National Programme aims to retrofit 25 crore conventional meters with smart meters which will lead to 80-100% improvement in billing efficiency.
- Smart meters are part of the overall Advanced Metering Infrastructure solution(AMI) that measures and records consumers electricity usage at different times of the day and sends this information to the energy supplier through GPRS technology.
- This gives consumers better access to information and enables them to make more informed decisions on the use of electricity in their homes. Further,this can immediately control AT&C losses due to power pilferage, defective meters or errors in meter reading.
- Energy Efficiency Services Limited(EESL) is a joint venture of four National Public Sector Enterprises– NTPC Limited,Power Finance Corporation Ltd(PFC),REC and POWERGRID.It was set up under the Ministry of Power.
- EESL is a Super Energy Service Company(ESCO) and leads the market-related activities of the National Mission for Enhanced Energy Efficiency(NMEEE),one of the eight national missions under the Prime Minister’s National Action Plan on Climate Change.
2 min read