News:Indian Prime Minister has met leaders of the Pacific small Islands Developing States (PSIDS) on the sidelines of the UNGA session in New York,USA.
- Prime Minister has announced a USD 150 million line of credit to the group of Pacific island nations for undertaking solar, renewable energy and climate related projects based on their requirement.
What are Small Island Developing States(SIDS)?
- Small Island Developing States(SIDS) are a distinct group of developing countries facing specific social, economic and environmental vulnerabilities.
- SIDS were recognized as a special case both for their environment and development at the United Nations Conference on Environment and Development (UNCED) also known as the Earth Summit.
- The United Nations Office of the High Representative for the Least Developed Countries, Landlocked Developing Countries and Small Island Developing States (UN-OHRLLS) represents this group of states.
How many are SIDS states?
- The UN has never established any criteria to determine an official list of SIDS” but it maintains a shorter, unofficial list for analytical purposes.The United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs lists 57 small island developing states.
Where are the SIDS located?
- SIDS are spread over three geographical regions, namely (a)Caribbean, (b)the Pacific and the Atlantic (c)Indian Ocean (d)Mediterranean and (e)South China Sea(AIMS).
What is the Barbados Programme of Action?
- The United Nations has been assisting and extending cooperation to SIDS in their sustainable development efforts through the Programme of Action for the Sustainable Development of SIDS finalized at the Global Conference held in Barbados in 1994 known also as the Barbados Programme of Action (BPOA).