News:Minister of State (I/C) for Youth Affairs and Sports has informed Lok Sabha about the National Welfare Fund for Sportspersons.
About National Welfare Fund for Sportspersons:
- Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay National Welfare Fund For Sportspersons (PDUNWFS) was set up in 1982.
- The fund aims to assist outstanding Sportspersons of yesteryear, living in indigent circumstances who had brought glory to the Country in sports.
- The scheme has been revised in 2016 to provide for lump sum ex-gratia assistance to outstanding Sportspersons of yesteryears.
- However,the provision of pension has been done away with as there is already a Scheme of Pension for Meritorious Sportspersons.
Features of the fund:
- To provide suitable assistance to outstanding sports persons now living in indigent circumstances;
- To provide suitable assistance to outstanding sports persons injured during the period of their training for competitions and also during the competitions, depending on the nature of the injury;
- To Provide suitable assistance to outstanding sports persons who bring glory to the country in international sports field and who are disabled as an after effect of their strenuous training or otherwise and to provide them assistance for medical treatment;
- To provide suitable assistance to promote the welfare of outstanding sports persons generally in order to alleviate distress among them and their dependents in indigent circumstances.