- The Unique Identification Authority of India(UIDAI) has operationalised the first ‘Aadhaar Seva Kendra’ in Delhi and Vijayawada.
- These Aadhaar Seva Kendras are meant to facilitate enrolment, updation and other activities.
- It will be owned and operated by UIDAI.These Kendra’s will be in addition to other centres currently being run by banks and post offices and in government premises offering similar Aadhaar services.
- Further,these Kendra’s are intended to handle large number of Aadhaar related requests on a daily basis.Just like Passport Seva Kendras,these centres will also allow people to book slots online through the appointment management system.
- The Unique Identification Authority of India(UIDAI) is a statutory authority established under the provisions of Aadhaar Act 2016 under the Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology. It is mandated to issue Unique Identification numbers (UID)-“Aadhaar” to all residents of India.
- The Aadhaar number is a verifiable twelve-digit unique identity number issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) to the residents of India.It is linked with the resident’s demographic and biometric information.
- The Aadhaar project was conceptualised in the year 2006 and launched in the year 2009 with the creation of Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI).
- The Aadhaar (Targeted Delivery of Financial and Other Subsidies, Benefits and Services) Act, 2016 provides legislative backing to the project.
2 min read