- The United Nations Educational,Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) has added Jaipur to its World Heritage List.
- This announcement was made during the 43rd session of the UNESCO World Heritage Committee in Azerbaijan.
- The City of Jaipur is popularly known as “Pink City” for its trademark building colour.It was founded in 1727 under the patronage of Sawai Jai Singh II.It is the capital city of Rajasthan.
- The city is an exceptional urban example in indigenous city planning and construction in South Asia.It was added for its urban planning which showed an exchange of ideas from ancient Hindu and modern Muslim as well as Western cultures.
- The number of heritage sites across India that are now on the UNESCO World Heritage list has grown to 38 which includes 30 cultural properties, seven natural properties and one mixed site.
- A World Heritage Site is a landmark or area which is selected by the UNESCO as having cultural, historical, scientific or other form of significance and is legally protected by international treaties.The sites are judged important to the collective interests of humanity.
2 min read