- Indian Prime Minister has addressed the nation for the first time since the Parliament has approved the Constitution (Application to Jammu and Kashmir) Order, 2019.The order effectively abrogates the special status accorded to Jammu and Kashmir under the provision of Article 370.
- The Parliament has also passed the Jammu and Kashmir (Reorganisation) Bill,2019.The bill bifurcates the State into two separate union territories of Jammu and Kashmir(with legislature) and Ladakh (without legislature).
- Prime minister has assured the J&K that Article 370 of the Constitution had been removed for their benefit,to fulfill the aspirations of the people, and to lift roadblocks on the path to development and progress of the region.
- Prime minister said that Jammu & Kashmir will not remain a Union territory for long and would regain its statehood.However,the UT status for Ladakh will continue with the Centre seeing it as its special responsibility.
- He also said that Article 370 had failed to benefit J&K and has only led to separatism, terrorism and corruption.He also emphasised that doing away with Article 370 and the reorganisation of J&K was an internal matter of India.
- He said that doing away of Article 370 and scrapping of Article 35A would soon see their negative effects fading away.The important laws like right to education and political reservations for SCs and STs would apply to J&K.
- Further,he said that a plant in Ladakh called Solo which is a boon to those living in high altitudes can be sold worldwide as it has vast medicinal properties.
3 min read