News: The Railway Board has appealed to its employees to voluntarily donate a day’s salary towards the Prime Minister’s National Relief Fund (PMNRF) to support the fight against the novel coronavirus.
- Established in: 1948
- Used for: immediate relief to families of those killed in natural calamities like floods, cyclones and earthquakes, etc. and to the victims of the major accidents and riots
- Headed by: Prime Minister
- Administration: Administered on an Honorary basis by Joint Secretary to the Prime Minister as Secretary of the fund.
- Consists entirely of public contributions and does not get any budgetary support.
- Recognized as a Trust under the Income Tax Act
- Exempt under the Income Tax Act, 1961 under Section 10 and 139 for return purposes.