News: Government of India has extended Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Package Insurance Scheme for Health Workers Fighting COVID-19 for another six months.
- Type: It is a Central Sector Scheme launched in March,2020.
- Aim: To provide an insurance cover of ₹50 lakh to healthcare providers, including community health workers who may have to be in direct contact of COVID-19 patients and therefore at risk of being infected.It also includes Accidental death on account of contracting COVID-19.
- Coverage: It covers private hospital staff/retired/volunteer/local urban bodies/contract/daily wage/ad-hoc/outsourced staff requisitioned by States/Central hospitals/autonomous hospitals of Central/States/UTs, AIIMS & INIs/hospitals of Central Ministries drafted for COVID-19 related responsibilities.
- Is there any age-limit for health workers under this scheme? There is no age limit for this scheme.
- Implementation: The entire amount of premium for this scheme is being borne by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.It has collaborated with the New India Assurance(NIA) Company Limited for providing the insurance amount based on the guidelines prepared for the scheme.