News: The Prime Minister will virtually address the high-level segment of United Nations Economic and Social Council(ECOSOC) as this year marks the 75th anniversary of the Council.
- The United Nations Economic and Social Council(ECOSOC) was established in 1945.It is one of the six main organs of the United Nations.
- Other organs are UNSC, UNGA, Trusteeship Council, ICJ and UN secretariat.
- Aim: To serve as a forum for discussing international economic and social issues and for formulating policy recommendations addressed to Member States and the United Nations system.
- Headquarters: New York, United States.
- Members: The Council consists of 54 Member States which are elected for three-year terms by the General Assembly.
- High-level Segment(HLS): It is held annually to represent ECOSOC’s annual cycle of work and to convene a diverse group of representatives from Government, the private sector, civil society and academia.
- Theme for 2020: “Accelerated action and transformative pathways: realizing the decade of action and delivery for sustainable development.”