News:The Prime Minister will participate in the Virtual Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) Summit through Video Conference.The summit will be chaired by Azerbaijan and will conclude with a political declaration of Uniting Against COVID-19.
- Non-Aligned Movement: It was formed during the Cold War as an organization of States that did not seek to formally align themselves with either the United States or the Soviet Union but sought to remain independent or neutral.
- Origin: The concept of NAM originated in 1955 at the Asia-Africa Bandung Conference held in Indonesia.
- First NAM Summit: It took place in Belgrade, Yugoslavia in 1961 under the heads of Yugoslavia, India, Egypt, Ghana and Indonesia.
- Purpose:It was enumerated at the Havana Declaration of 1979 to ensure the national independence, sovereignty, territorial integrity and security of non-aligned countries in their struggle against imperialism, colonialism, neo-colonialism, racism and all forms of foreign subjugation.
- Members: It consists of 120 member states.
- Observers: There are 17 countries and 10 international organizations that are Observers at NAM.