News:Union Human Resource Development Minister reviewed the preparations for the Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) 2021.
About Programme for International Student Assessment(PISA):
- PISA is an international survey held every three years.It was first conducted in the year 2000.
- It is coordinated by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD).
- The objective of the survey is to assess the quality of education systems across the world by evaluating students in science, mathematics and reading.
- The survey consists of a competency-based test designed to assess the ability of the 15-year-old candidates that measures their reading, mathematics and science literacy to apply their knowledge to real-life situations.
India and PISA:
- India had taken part in Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) in 2009 and bagged the 72nd rank among 74 participating countries.
- However,the then government had boycotted PISA blaming out of context questions for India’s dismal performance.
- In 2018, India has decided to participate in PISA-2021.The students of Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan, Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti and UT of Chandigarh will represent India in this examination.