News: The Public Affairs Index-2020 has been released.
- About the index: It is released by the Public Affairs Centre, a not-for-profit organisation headed by former Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) chairman K. Kasturirangan.
- Ranking: The states were ranked on governance performance in the context of sustainable development defined by three pillars of equity, growth and sustainability.
- Larger States Category:
- Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka stood in the first four ranks in terms of governance.
- Uttar Pradesh, Odisha and Bihar were at the bottom of the ranking.
- Smaller States Category:
- Goa ranked first followed by Meghalaya and Himachal Pradesh.
- Manipur, Delhi and Uttarakhand were the worst performers.
- Union Territories:
- Chandigarh has emerged at the top followed by Pondicherry and Lakshadweep.
- Dadar and Nagar Haveli, Andaman, Jammu and Kashmir and Nicobar were the worst performers.