- Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission has decided not to display any firework on the birth anniversary of Ramakrishna Dev also known as Sadharan Utsav at Belur Math,West Bengal.
- This decision comes in the backdrop of the National Green Tribunal (NGT)’s imposition of a fine of ₹5 crore on the West Bengal government for failing to take steps to improve the air quality of Kolkata and Howrah.
- The anniversary celebrations for the first time will include folk theatre or jatra and a performance of chau.Originating in eastern India,Chhau features dancers in colorful masks and costumes performing movements inspired by animals, birds, martial arts and tribal and folk customs.The practice was added to UNESCO’s Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity in 2010.Chhau shows typically depict episodes from classic Hindu epics.Its three distinct styles hail from the regions of Seraikella (Jharkhand),Purulia (West Bengal) and Mayurbhanj (Odisha).Only the first two styles uses masks.
- Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa was a yogi and mystic figure of nineteenth century India.His religious school of thought led to the formation of the Ramakrishna Mission by his chief disciple Swami Vivekanand.Both of them were influential figures in the Bengali Renaissance and the Hindu renaissance during 19th and 20th century.
- Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission are worldwide,non-political,non-sectarian spiritual organizations which have been engaged in various forms of humanitarian,social service activities for more than a century.
2 min read