News:Defence Minister has formally received the Indian Air Force’s first Rafale fighter jet from a series of 36 such aircraft purchased from France.
- In 2016,Indian government had inked a direct deal with the French government to purchase 36 new Rafale fighter jet.
About Rafale fighter jet:
- Rafale is a twin-engine medium multi-role combat aircraft.It is manufactured by the French company Dassault Aviation.
- The Rafale is referred to as an ‘omnirole’ aircraft by Dassault.It is the capability to perform several actions at the same time.It can carry out both air-to-ground as well as air-to-air attacks.
- The aircraft is also fitted with an on-board oxygen generation system (OBOGS).It suppresses the need for liquid oxygen refilling or ground support for oxygen production.
- Rafale also provides standoff capability when any country attacks India. An active electronically scanned array(AESA) radar enables the pilot to look 200 to 400 kms away.
- The aircraft also has Situational awareness capability in which Aircraft has got those sensors which enable the pilot to be aware situationally and detect the enemy Aircraft for which the Rafale has AESA radar.