News:The SASTRA Ramanujan prize for 2019 will be awarded to the mathematician Adam Harper, Assistant Professor with the University of Warwick, England.
- The SASTRA Ramanujan prize was instituted in 2005.
- The award is conferred annually on mathematicians from across the world who are less than 32 years of age working in an area influenced by Srinivasa Ramanujan.
- The age limit is 32 years to commemorate the fact that Ramanujan accomplished a phenomenal body of work in this short span.
- This prize is awarded by SASTRA University on its campus near Kumbakonam in Tamil Nadu on Ramanujan’s birth anniversary, December 22.
- The previous winners of Ramanuja award includes Manjul Bhargava and Akshay Venkatesh who went on to win the Fields Medal.
- The field medal is regarded as the highest scientific award for mathematicians and equivalent to a Nobel Prize.
- The award recognizes both existing work and the promise of future achievement.
- Therefore,it is awarded to only those outstanding mathematicians who are not over 40 years,
- These are awarded every four years by the International Mathematical Union at the International Congress of Mathematicians.Up to four medals could be awarded at each Congress.