News:Union Minister for Home Affairs will preside over as Chief Guest at the 27th Anniversary celebrations of the Rapid Action Force(RAF).
About Rapid Action force:
- RAF is a specially trained and equipped wing of Central Reserve Police Force(CRPF).
- It was formed in 1992 to deal with riots, riot like situations, crowd control, rescue and relief operations and related unrest.
- It is headquartered in New Delhi.Its motto is “Serving Humanity with sensitive policing”.
- RAF currently has 10 specialised trained and equipped battalions.
- The battalions are located at New Delhi, Mumbai, Ahmedabad, Bhopal, Aligarh, Meerut, Hyderabad, Jamshedpur, Coimbatore and Allahabad.
- The CRPF is India’s largest Central Armed Police Force (CAPF). It functions under the aegis of Ministry of Home Affairs.
- The mission of the CRPF is to enable the government to maintain rule of law, public order and internal security effectively and efficiently, to preserve national integrity and promote social harmony.
- The CRPF has been the lead force in dealing with militancy in Jammu and Kashmir,fighting the Left-Wing Extremism and insurgency in the Northeast.
- There are seven CAPF in India. They are (a) Assam Rifles(AR), (b) Border Security Force (BSF) (c) Central Industrial Security Force(CISF), (d) Central Reserve Police Force(CRPF) (e)Indo Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) (f)National Security Guard(NSG) and (g) Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB).