- Researchers have spotted a Gooty Tarantula in the Pakkamalai Reserve Forests near Gingee in Villupuram district, Tamil Nadu
- The species of spider is also known as Peacock Parachute Spider or metallic tarantula because of its attractive iridescent colouration. It belongs to the genus Poecilotheria
- It is endemic to India and its home range is less than a 100 sq. kms in a reserve forest between Nandyal and Giddalur in Andhra Pradesh.
- T was first discovered in the town of Gooty in Andhra Pradesh in 1899.
- It is listed as “Critically Endangered” in the IUCN Red List.
1 min read