News: Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment informed Lok Sabha about Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana.
- It was launched by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment in 2017.
- It is a scheme for providing Physical Aids and Assisted-living Devices for Senior citizens belonging to the BPL category.
- The beneficiaries under the scheme are identified through Assessment Camps organized in collaboration with the respective State Government/District Administration.
- Under the Scheme, assisted living devices such as Walking Sticks, Elbow Crutches, Walkers/ Crutches, Hearing Aids, Wheelchairs, Spectacles, etc. are provided free of cost to the beneficiary senior citizens.
- The devices are distributed in Distribution Camps organized in the selected districts. For the senior citizens aged 80 years or more, the devices are provided at their doorsteps.
- The Scheme is implemented through the Artificial Limbs Manufacturing Corporation (ALIMCO), a PSU under the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.