- The Central Information Commission (CIC) has directed the Customs Department to make public the list of officers caught red-handed for smuggling gold,heroin and other illegal activities.CIC has said that the information should be disclosed voluntarily for the sake of transparency and accountability in the public authority.
- The direction came in response to a Right To Information(RTI) request to the Chief Commissioner of Customs asking for information on officers caught,convicted or jailed for smuggling over the last 10 years.
- Right to information act,2005 provides for timely disclosure of information by citizens from both central and State Public Authorities.The act seeks to empower citizens and promote accountability and transparency.
- The Central Information Commission (CIC) is an 11 member commission set up under the Right to Information Act,2005 as a quasi judicial body.It is the highest appeal body available to applicants seeking information under the RTI Act.
- CIC and members are appointed by the President of India on the recommendation of a committee consisting of (a) Prime Minister as Chairperson (b) the Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha and (c) Union Cabinet Minister to be nominated by the Prime Minister.
2 min read