- Chief Justice of India(CJI) has said that the rise of populism presents a challenge to the independence of courts and asked the judiciary to stand up to the populist forces and protect constitutional ethos.
- These comments were made at the two-day conference in Sochi,Russia that has participation at the level of Chief Justice and Judges of the Supreme Court from the member countries of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation(SCO).
- CJI also emphasised that every nation must aspire for an independent Judicial System and independence is the very soul of a functional Judiciary.
- CJI also listed out the key indices for building an independent judiciary which are (a)Non-political appointments (b)security of tenure (c)rigorous procedure for removal (d)securing reputation of and remuneration and immunities for judges (e)in-house accountability procedures and (f)implementation of code of judges conduct.
- CJI also pointed out that the executive and judiciary in India have enjoyed a healthy relationship of mutual respect.
- Further,he said that countries which support and invest in a strong judicial infrastructure are more likely to become nations with stable governments and administrations.
5 min read