News:The Rohtang tunnel being built on the Leh-Manali highway may become operational in the next six months.
About Rohtang Tunnel:
- The Rohtang tunnel is being built in the Eastern Pir Panjal ranges on the Leh-Manali Highway under the Rohtang Pass.
- It will become the world’s longest highway tunnel above 10,000 feet.
- The development work of the Rohtang tunnel project is being carried out by the Border Roads Organisation(BRO).
- The project also has significant strategic implications for the military as it will allow access beyond Rohtang Pass even in peak winters.
- The tunnel will reduce the road distance by nearly 46 km and will save up to 5 hours between Manali and Keylong.Also,it has the capacity to ply 3,000 vehicles per day under any weather condition.
About Rohtang Pass:
- Rohtang Pass (elevation 3,978 m) is located in the state of Himachal Pradesh.
- It is present on the Pir Panjal Range of Himalayas.It connects the Kullu Valley with Lahaul and Spiti Valleys of Himachal Pradesh.
- The Ravi river rises west of the Rohtang pass in the Kullu hills of Himachal Pradesh.
- The Border Roads Organisation(BRO) was formed in 1960 to secure India’s borders and develop infrastructure in remote areas of the north and north-east states of the country.It functions under the control of the Ministry of Defence since 2015.
- BRO executes road construction and maintenance works along the northern and western frontiers primarily to meet the strategic requirements of the army and is responsible for maintenance of over 53,000 km of roads.