- India’s External Affairs Minister has flagged off the first batch of pilgrims for this year’s Kailash Mansarovar Yatra.
- Kailash Manasarovar Yatra(KMY) is known for its religious value and cultural significance.Being significant to Hindus as the abode of Lord Shiva,it holds religious importance also for the Jains and the Buddhists.
- The Yatra is organized by the Ministry of External Affairs(MEA) with the support of the state governments of Uttarakhand, Delhi, and Sikkim and the cooperation of Indo Tibetan Border Police(ITBP).MEA does not provide any subsidy or financial assistance to Yatris.
- MEA organizes this Yatra during June to September each year through two different routes (a)Lipulekh Pass (Uttarakhand) and (b)Nathu La Pass (Sikkim).Nathula pass is a new route while Lipulekh has been in use for decades now.
- The Yatra is open to eligible Indian citizens holding valid Indian passports who wish to proceed to Kailash-Mansarovar for religious purposes.
6 min read