News:The government has instituted a new civilian award in the name of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
About the award:
- The award has been instituted in the name of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
- It will be the highest civilian award in India in the field of contribution to the unity and integrity of India.
- The award seeks to recognise notable and inspiring contributions to promote the cause of national unity and integrity and to reinforce the value of a strong and united India
- The award will be announced annually on the occasion of the National Unity Day which is the birth anniversary of Sardar Patel on 31st October.
- An award committee would be constituted by the Prime Minister which would include the Cabinet Secretary, Principal Secretary to the PM, Secretary to the President, Home Secretary as Members and three-four eminent persons.
- The Award would consist of a medal and a citation.No monetary grant or cash award would be attached to this Award.
- Further, not more than three Awards would be given in a year.It would also not be conferred posthumously except in very rare and highly deserving cases.