- The Supreme Court Collegium has recommended names of five judges for appointment as chief justice of Rajasthan,Chhattisgarh,Meghalaya, Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka High Courts.
- The High court for Andhra Pradesh was created on January 1,2019. It was created following the division of a combined high court of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh.
- Collegium system in India is the system by which the judges are appointed by the judges only also referred to as Judges-selecting-Judges.It is the system of appointment and transfer of judges that has evolved through judgments of the Supreme Court and not by an Act of Parliament or by a provision of the Constitution.
- The Supreme Court collegium is headed by the Chief Justice of India and comprises four other senior most judges of the court. A High Court collegium is led by its Chief Justice and four other senior most judges of that court.
- Names recommended for appointment by a High Court collegium reaches the government only after approval by the CJI and the Supreme Court collegium.The government is bound to appoint a person as a Supreme Court judge if the collegium reiterates its recommendation.
2 min read