News:The Supreme Court (SC) has ruled in favour of permanent commission to female officers in the Indian Navy.
- Ruled that women naval officers cannot be denied the right to equal opportunity and dignity entitled to under the Constitution on specious grounds such as physiology, motherhood and physical attributes.
- Directed the Centre to grant permanent commission to SSC women officers within three months.
- All serving women short service commission (SSC) officers in at least seven wings, including the executive, engineering, electrical, education, law and logistics, will be eligible to apply.
- The grant of PCs will be subject to: (i) availability of vacancies in the stabilised cadre; (ii) Suitability of the candidate; and (iii) recommendation by the chief of Naval Staff.
- Grants pension benefits to retired women officers who were not granted permanent commission
- Permanent Commission: It means an officer can serve the Navy till he/she retires.
- Short service commission: One can serve for 10 years and can be extended by four more years, or a total of 14 years.