- Government has appointed IPS officer V S Kaumudi as the Director General of the Bureau of Police Research and Development (BPR&D).
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet(ACC) has approved the appointment by temporarily downgrading the post to the level of Additional Director General for a period of two years.
- BPR&D was established in 1970 with the objective of the modernisation of police forces.It is nodal national police organisation to study,research and develop on subjects and issues related to policing.
- BPR&D functions under the aegis of Union Home Ministry.It is headquartered in New Delhi.Since its formation,it has evolved as a multifaceted, consultancy organisation.
- At present it has 4 divisions which are (a)Research (b)Development, (c)Training and (d)Correctional Administration.
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) decides appointments to several top posts under the Government of India.The committee is composed of the Prime Minister of India (who is the Chairman) and the Minister of Home Affairs.
4 min read