News:The Kerala Government is planning to stop the rampant growth of Senna spectabilis in the forest areas of the Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve(NBR).
About Senna Spectabilis:
- Senna spectabilis is a plant species of the legume family (Fabaceae) native to South and Central America.
- The plant has become an invasive alien species in parts of Africa, India and other countries.
- The thick foliage of the tree arrests the growth of other indigenous tree and grass species.Hence,it causes food shortage for the wildlife population especially herbivores.
- It also adversely affects the germination and growth of the native species.
- It is categorised as ‘Least Concern’ under IUCN Red List.
About Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve:
- The Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve is an International Biosphere Reserve in the Western Ghats and Nilgiri Hills ranges of South India.
- It is a part of the Western Ghats which was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 2012.
- The Biosphere reserve includes a) Bandipur National Park b) Nagarahole National Park c) Mudumalai Wildlife Sanctuary d) Mukurthi National Park e) Sathyamangalam Wildlife Sanctuary f) Silent Valley National Park and g) Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Tribal groups like the Todas, Kotas, Irullas, Kurumbas, Paniyas, Adiyans, Edanadan Chettis, Cholanaickens, Allar among others are native to the reserve.