- According to a report by industry body Nasscom,India origin companies has filed over 4,600 patents in the US between 2015-2018.The majority of the patents were from the technology domain.
- A patent is a form of intellectual property.A patent gives its owner the right to exclude others from making,selling and importing an invention for a limited period of time usually twenty years.The patent rights are granted in exchange for an enabling public disclosure of the invention.
- The report says that Indian start-ups have filed patents mostly in the emerging technology areas such as artificial intelligence,cyber security,vehicle technology and Internet of Things (IoT).
- The report has also said that India can further strengthen its potential as an innovation hub through more investments in research and strategic collaborations.
- Artificial Intelligence is a way of making a computer,a computer-controlled robot or software perform human-like tasks.It refers to the ability of machines to perform cognitive tasks like thinking,perceiving, learning,problem solving and decision making.
- The Internet of Things(IoT) is a system of interrelated computing devices,mechanical and digital machines that are provided with unique identifiers and the ability to transfer data over a network without requiring human-to-human or human-to-computer interaction.
11 min read