News:Government of India has declared that the Siachen Glacier area of Ladakh will be opened for tourists.
About Siachen Glacier:
- Siachen is the world’s highest battlefield.It is among the largest glaciers in the nonpolar region of the world.
- The glacier is located in the Eastern Karakoram range in the Himalayas. It is 75km long and 2 to 8km wide.
- The glacier lies just northeast of Point NJ9842 where the Line of Control between India and Pakistan ends.
- The Siachen has been an important bone of contention between India and Pakistan since 1984 when the Indian Army launched Operation Meghdoot to take control of the entire Siachen glacier.
- The glacier’s melting waters are the main source of the Nubra River in the Indian region of Ladakh which drains into the Shyok River.The Shyok in turn joins the Indus River which flows through Pakistan.
- The highest helipad in the world named Sonam(20,997 ft) is maintained by India in Siachen.