- The Ministry of Home Affairs(MHA) has said that former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will continue to have Z plus security cover after the withdrawal of Special Protection Group(SPG) from his security.
- In India,the Government of India provides security to some high-risk individuals with the help of police and local government.
- Special Protection Group(SPG) provides security to the (a)Prime Minister(PM) of India (b)Former PM of India and (c)Members of their immediate families wherever they are.
- Besides the SPG,VIPs in India are protected by other security forces as well.The levels of security cover are determined by the threat perception around the individual.
- The highest level of security cover is the Z-plus category followed by Z, Y plus,Y and X categories.The higher the level of cover,the larger the number of personnel protecting the individual.
- Further,the National Security Guard (NSG) is a counter terrorism unit under the Indian Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA).It was founded in 1984, following Operation Blue Star for combating terrorist activities with a view to protect states against internal disturbances.
- The NSG personnel are often referred to in the media as Black Cats. They are deployed to protect VIPs for whom the threat perception is the highest.
2 min read