News: The World Meteorological Organization(WMO) has released its findings on lightning strikes which had happened around the world.
- Brazil recorded the longest lightning strike that travelled a distance of 709 kilometres in 2018.
- Argentina recorded a lightning strike that lasted continuously for 16.73 seconds in 2019.
- India: Uttar Pradesh recorded the maximum number of deaths due to lightning in India.It was followed by Bihar.
- Lightning: It is a very rapid and massive discharge of electricity in the atmosphere,some of which is directed towards the Earth.These discharges are generated in giant moisture-bearing clouds that are 10-12 km tall.
- How is it formed?
- Air generally acts as an insulator between the positive and negative charges in the cloud and between the cloud and the ground.
- But when the opposite charges build up enough, this insulating capacity of the air breaks down and there is a rapid discharge of electricity that we know as lightning.
- Effects of Lightning:
- Direct strike: Victims may sustain a direct strike, which is often fatal.
- Contact injury: This occurs when lightning strikes an object, such as a car or metal pole that the victim is touching.
- Ground current: This occurs when lightning strikes the ground near a victim and the ground current passes from the strike point through the ground and into the victim among others.