News:Geographical Indication Registry of India has accorded Geographical Indication(GI) tag to Srivilliputhur palkova.
About Srivilliputhur palkova:
- Srivilliputhur palkova is a sweet made from cow milk and sugar.
- The palkova is manufactured in and around the municipality of Srivilliputtur in Virudhunagar district,Tamil Nadu.
About the geographical indication(GI) tag:
- A geographical indication(GI) is a sign used on products that have a specific geographical origin and possess qualities or a reputation that are due to that origin.
- The Geographical Indications of Goods (Registration and Protection) Act, 1999 provides registration and also protection of GI goods in India.
- The act is administered by the Controller General of Patents, Designs and trademarks under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
- GI tag secures the quality and authenticity of a product to a particular geographical origin.It provides legal protection from duplication.
- Darjeeling Tea is the first good to receive a GI Tag in India.