News:The Svalbard Global Seed Vault referred to as the earth’s doomsday vault now contains about 1.05 million seeds.
About Svalbard Global Seed Vault:
- It is the world’s largest secure seed bank located on the Norwegian island of Spitsbergen in the remote Arctic Svalbard archipelago.
- The aim of the vault is to preserve a vast variety of crop seeds in the case of a doomsday event, calamity, climate change or national emergency.
- It is owned and administered by the Ministry of Agriculture and Food on behalf of the Kingdom of Norway.
India’s Seed Bank:
- India has also established its own seed storage facility at Chang La in Ladakh,
- It was built jointly by the Defence Institute of High Altitude Research (DIHAR) and the National Bureau of Plant Genetic Resources (NBPGR) in 2010 under the aegis of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).