News:Recently,Tasmanian Tiger also known as thylacine which is said to have gone extinct over 80 years ago has been spotted across Tasmania,Australia 8 times during 2016 -2019.
About Tasmanian Tiger:
- Tasmanian Tiger also known as thylacine was one of the largest known carnivorous marsupials evolving about 4 million years ago.
- The thylacine is commonly known as the Tasmanian tiger because of its striped lower back or the Tasmanian wolf because of its canid-like characteristics.
- The last known thylacine died in captivity over 80 years ago, in Tasmania’s Hobart Zoo in 1936.
- The thylacine was native to Tasmania, New Guinea, and the Australian mainland.
- It is listed as extinct in the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Red List.
- The thylacine appeared like a medium-to-large-size dog, except for its stiff tail and abdominal pouch similar to a kangaroo and dark transverse stripes that radiated from the top of its back reminiscent of a tiger.