News:The Mahastupa of the Thotlakonda monastery which was reconstructed in 2016 by the State Archaeology department has collapsed recently.
About Thotlakonda monastery:
- Thotlakonda Buddhist Complex is situated in Visakhapatnam in Andhra Pradesh.
- Thotlakonda was under the influence of ancient Kalinga which was an important source of dissemination of Buddhism to Sri Lanka and various parts of Southeast Asia.
- The monastery also provides an insight into the process of transoceanic diffusion of Indic culture, especially Buddhism.
- Thotlakonda monastery came to light during an aerial survey by the Indian Navy for setting up a naval base.
- After its discovery, major excavations have been conducted which established the existence of a Hinayana Buddhist complex which flourished 2000 years ago.
- The excavation has also revealed Satavahana dynasty lead and Roman silver coins indicating foreign trade.