- Drugs Technical Advisory Board(DTAB) has recommended to the government to make it mandatory for companies to include codes to track-and-trace APIs to ensure authenticity of drugs manufactured in India.
- This move will potentially be the first step by the government to pinpoint the origin and movement of drugs manufactured here and ensure their authenticity.
- Active pharmaceutical ingredients or APIs can be defined as the chemicals used to manufacture pharmaceutical drugs.
- The active ingredient(AI) is the substance or substances that are biologically active within the drug and is the specific component responsible for the desired effect it has on the individual taking it.
- India is currently dependent on China for imports of APIs to make certain essential medicines with around 75% of these ingredients imported from the country in 2016-17.
- DTAB is highest statutory decision-making body on technical matters related to drugs in the country.It was constituted as per the Drugs and Cosmetics Act,1940.It is part of Central Drugs Standard Control Organization(CDSCO) in the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
2 min read