- Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways has informed Rajya Sabha about the setting up of Trauma Care Facilities along National Highways under the scheme “Capacity Building for Developing Trauma Care Facilities on National Highways”.
- The overall objective of the scheme is to bring down preventable deaths due to road accidents by developing a pan-India trauma care network.
- The scheme provides for setting up a designated trauma center at every 100 km on National Highways(NHs).
- Further,World Health Organisation (WHO)’s Global Status report on Road Safety has also stated that road accidents are the leading cause of death among people in the 5-29 age-group worldwide.
- According to the report,India might be losing 2,99,000 people each year due to road accidents.However,the government pegs the number of road accident deaths at nearly 1,50,000 people each year.
1 min read