- British Prime Minister will be writing to European Union to seek an extension to the current Brexit deadline till June 30 which is due to expire on March 29,2019.All 27 EU members have to agree to any extension proposed.
- UK PM is seeking a delay after her plan to have another vote on her proposed Brexit deal was rejected by the speaker of parliament.Speaker had said that UK lawmakers cannot be asked to vote on same Brexit proposal which they have already rejected twice.
- Earlier,UK MPs had rejected the withdrawal deal UK PM has negotiated with the EU for a second time.They had rejected leaving the European Union(EU) without a deal.The UK leaves the EU on 29 March with or without a deal,unless a delay is agreed.
- Article 50 of the Treaty of Lisbon gives any EU member state the right to quit unilaterally and outlines the procedure for doing so.It gives the leaving country two years to negotiate an exit deal.UK triggered Article 50 in 2016.
- Brexit is a term used to define United Kingdom coming out of EU.During a referendum in 2016,UK voted by a narrow margin in favour of Brexit.
- European Union is a political and economic union of 28 member states. A monetary union was established in 1999 and came into full force in 2002 and is composed of 19 EU member states which use the euro currency.The EU and European citizenship were established when the Maastricht Treaty came into force in 1993.
2 min read