- The US President has met the North Korean leader at the Demilitarized Zone(DMZ) between North and South Korea.US President became the first sitting President to cross over into North Korea.
- The two leaders have agreed to set up teams to resume stalled nuclear talks.Their last summit had broken down with no progress on denuclearisation in North Korea.
- The US administration is persuading North Korea to give up its nuclear weapons programme which combined with its missile capabilities pose a threat to the United States before North Korea can expect any concessions.
- North Korea wants (a) security guarantees for its current regime and (b) formal end of the 1950-1953 Korean War which ended in a truce and not a treaty.
- The DMZ was set up after the 1950-53 Korean War after it had ended in an armistice not a truce leaving North Korea and a U.S.-led U.N. forces still technically at war.
7 min read