- The Russian foreign ministry has said that two planes consists of Russian specialists has landed in Venezuela.The presence of Russian specialists in Venezuela is governed by a military-technical cooperation agreement between the two countries that was signed in 2001.
- Russia has long been an ally of Venezuela,and has provided military and economic support.Russia has also vocally opposed moves from the US to impose sanctions on the government of Venezuelan president Nicolas Maduro.
- Venezuela has been facing economic crisis which has fuelled political discontent.Further,Venezuela President Nicolas Maduro is also facing a challenge from opposition leader Juan Guaido who declared himself acting president.The US views Guaido as Venezuela’s legitimate leader and has imposed sanctions besides taking other actions targeting top government officials.
- US has imposed sanctions on Venezuela oil company with a view to curb crude oil exports and put pressure on the President to step down.
- India has refused to go along with the US and said that it is for the people of Venezuela to find political solutions to resolve their differences through constructive dialogue and discussion without resorting to violence.
2 min read