- The United Arab Emirates (UAE) has awarded Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi with the Zayed Medal, the highest civilian award granted by its government. PM Modi has received the award in appreciation of his efforts in maintaining strategic ties with UAE.
- UAE-India relations got momentum after Prime Minister Modi paid a visit to the nation in 2015. The Crown Prince visited India in 2017 as the Chief Guest for Republic Day celebrations. In 2018, Indian Prime minister had again visited UAE.
- India-UAE commercial relations are centred on energy cooperation, trade, investments by UAE in India and investments & businesses driven by Indian expatriates in UAE. UAE accounts for 8% of India’s oil imports and is the 5th largest supplier of crude oil to India.
- India-UAE trade stood at about USD 50 billion in 2017, making India the second largest trading partner of UAE. UAE is India’s third largest trading partner.
- UAE is also a member of International Solar Alliance- a common platform for cooperation among sun-rich countries initiated by India and France in 2015.
There are also speculations that there would be a “high level representation” from India for a foundation laying ceremony for Abu Dhabi’s (capital of UAE) first Hindu temple on April 20th 2019. The temple is being built by the BAPS Swaminarayan Sanstha, a Gujarat based international spiritual organisation. The land for the temple was granted by Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed, the Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi.