- The UAE Central Bank’s Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU) has launched the new anti-money laundering platform called goAML.
- The platform will help facilitate law enforcement authorities in the receipt, analysis and dissemination of suspicious transactions including money laundering.
- The goAML system is the first platform to go live in the Gulf countries.It was developed by the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) to help in combating both money laundering and financing of terrorism.
- The platform will act as an integral part of the FIU by elevating its IT structure,strengthening a country-wide cooperation against criminal activity.
- The platform will be used by financial institutions (banks,exchange houses,finance companies),law enforcement agencies such as police and designated non-financial businesses and professions.
- UNODC was established in 1997 through a merger between the United Nations Drug Control Programme and the Centre for International Crime Prevention.
- UNODC is a global leader in the fight against illicit drugs and international crime.It relies on voluntary contributions,mainly from governments for 90% of its budget.UNODC is mandated to assist Member States in their struggle against illicit drugs,crime and terrorism.
5 min read