News:Infosys has won the United Nations Global Climate Action Award (UNGCAA).
Why Infosys was awarded?
- Infosys was awarded in the ‘Climate Neutral Now’ category for “Infosys’ Journey to Carbon Neutrality
- In 2011,Infosys had made a voluntary commitment to United Nation to become carbon neutral.
- In October 2018, Infosys has also pledged to demonstrate its commitment to moving to a low carbon economy, at ‘Climate Neutral Now’ platform by UNFCCC.
- The company highlighted that it is transitioning to renewable energy for all its electricity needs and has reduced its per capita energy consumption by over 51% since 2008.
About Global Climate Action Award:
- The Climate action awards are given by the Momentum for Change initiative at UN Climate Change.
- The award-winning projects fall within four focus areas namely (a) Planetary Health (b)Climate Neutral Now (c)Women for Results and (d)Financing for Climate Friendly Investment.
- The projects are recognized as innovative solutions that not only address climate change but also help drive forward progress on many other sustainable development goals such as innovation, gender equality and economic opportunity.
About Momentum for Change initiative:
- The UN Climate Change’s Momentum for Change initiative is implemented with the support of the Rockefeller Foundation.
- The initiative operates in partnership with the World Economic Forum (WEF), donors supporting implementation of UN Climate Change’s Gender Action Plan and Climate Neutral Now.