News:India has won four UNESCO Asia-Pacific Awards for Cultural Heritage Conservation.
About the UNESCO Asia-Pacific Awards:
- The UNESCO Asia-Pacific Awards for Cultural Heritage Conservation was established in 2000.
- It recognizes the efforts of private individuals and organizations that have successfully conserved structures and buildings of heritage value in the region.
- It aims to encourage other property owners to undertake conservation projects within their communities either independently or by seeking PPP (public-private partnerships).
Award winners from India:
- Award of Distinction was won by Vikram Sarabhai Library, Indian Institute of Management(IIM),Ahmedabad
- Award of Merit was won by both Keneseth Eliyahoo Synagogue, Mumbai and Our Lady of Glory Church,Mumbai.
- Honourable Mention was won by the Flora Fountain, Mumbai.
- The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) was formed in 1945.It is a specialized agency of the United Nations (UN) based in Paris,France.
- It seeks to build peace through international cooperation in Education, Sciences and Culture.
- UNESCO has 193 member states and 11 associate members.